Tuesday 16 September 2014

When Life Gives you Lemons...

Ok I'm back... and alive again after being quite ill most of last week and weekend :( Don't you love it when you take annual leave from work and then become sick as soon as you stop. Its just doesn't seem fair.

Anyway my little family of 2 are back to full health and back on track (except for one who is beginning to show signs of the "terrible twos"...back to that later)

So thinking about my health I try and keep as healthy as possible. Don't get me wrong, I wont say no to cake or chocolate, however being a single mum, and working full time, I need to ensure I look after myself.

One thing I have been doing religiously now is making a hot water with lemon every morning while I get ready for work, as well as add it my mineral water at night; to sweeten it. Now I have never really looked into the benefits of lemons and what they can do so I though I'd start now...



I have heard of things such as:

"A cup of hot water gets your metabolism going in the morning"

"Lemon helps colds and flus"

"Its cleansing for the body"

I have often heard of this "lemon detox diet" which I don't buy into. A day not eating food, as opposed to 3 in a row, and only drinking lemon water, just doesn't seem right. I mean if I died tomorrow I would want to ensure I enjoyed my food...



So I did my research and here is what I found...

  • Supports the immune system: The juice of half a lemon in a glass of water is rich in vitamin C, which helps boost the immune system and assists the body in fighting colds and flu. 
  • Aids digestion: As lemon juice is similar in atomic structure to the stomach’s digestive juices, it has a positive effect on the gastrointestinal tract. (Gross!!!) The digestive qualities of lemon juice can also help relieve symptoms of indigestion, heartburn and bloating...this will definitely help ladies when you are pregnant and suffer all these wonderful things..I mean when you get to "enjoy" the experience of all these great things (I'll let you be the judge)
  •  Repairs skin: Lemons are great for combating skins ageing (Woohoo! Jack pot!) Apparently lemons are rich in vitamin C and that is really what creates collagen synthesis, which is wonderful in terms of keeping wrinkles at bay. Vitamin C is required in the synthesis of amino acids into collagen. The collagen then works with the connective tissue to hold things tight and protect our skin (Forget Botox Ladies...Lemons are the way to go, and more cost effective)
  •  Reduces appetite: Lemons contain pectin, a soluble fibre commonly found in citrus fruits. Pectin helps stave off hunger as the fibre creates a feeling of fullness, which results in the suppression of hunger cravings. By feeling fuller for longer, you’re less likely to snack or make poor food choices (I have yet to experience this as I like a good snack most days...guilty pleasure some may say)
  • Cleanses the urinary tract: Lemon juice is a diuretic, meaning it encourages the production of urine. As a result, toxins are released at a faster rate, helping to purify the system and keep it healthy. Lemon juice can also change the pH level of the urinary tract which discourages the proliferation of bad bacteria (Ok this was a pretty gross fact but in terms of health its good to know so I felt I should include it in my findings)
  •  Freshens breath: The antiseptic qualities in lemon juice help kill off bad bacteria in the mouth by acting as a disinfectant. A glass of lemon water is also a healthier morning wake-you-up than coffee.  (Ok so I'm doing ok for my morning ritual...although I still have my morning coffee)

  • Protects overall health: High levels of potassium in lemons can help brain and nerve functioning and control blood pressure. Lemon water can also ward off stress and depression. 
  • Promotes healing: Ascorbic acid, vitamin C, promotes wound healing in the body and is an important nutrient in maintaining healthy bones, tissue and cartilage. It also calms inflammation in the body.
  • Detoxifies the liver: Lemon water acts as a liver cleanser by assisting in detoxification. It purifies and stimulates the liver by encouraging the production of bile, an acid required for digestion. So simply add it to your Gin & Tonic, or Vodka Soda, and basically your liver is fine (Ok I made an assumption but I like the sound of it so I'm going to go with it).

  • Low in Calories: Lemons are less in calories to most fruits, carrying just 29 calories per 100 g, the value being one of the lowest in the citrus fruits group. They contains zero saturated fats, or cholesterol. However they are also a good source of dietary fibre. 



So there seems to be many benefits to Lemons. So as the saying when life gives you lemons...take them and feel amazing, both inside and out! (or simply pour yourself a G&T)...xo

No comments:

Post a Comment